Support for Students with Learning Disabilities and Attention Difficulties
The College is strongly committed to providing excellent support to students with documented learning disabilities and attention difficulties. An individually structured program has been designed to accommodate students with varying needs. Professionals who have earned graduate degrees in the fields of Education, Educational Psychology, Special Education, Counseling, and Reading work to help each student design strategies for academic success. Accommodation Plans are determined through a review of the documentation provided by the student and the recommendation of the student’s Comprehensive Advisor, who works closely with each individual. The student will have access to our foundational services prior to, during, and after enrollment in our fee-based programs. The following services are provided when appropriate to the needs of the student:
- Individual support from a Comprehensive Advisor who plans and coordinates accommodation of student needs and acts as liaison with other departments of the College. The Comprehensive Advisor mentors the student through graduation with intensive emphasis on the student’s first and second year.
- Weekly one-on-one academic strategy guidance
- Support for the transition to college level academics
- Individualized Accommodation Plan, updated as needed
- Preferential registration and specialized academic advising for the first three semesters
- Extended time and separate test taking location for qualified students
- Note-takers when appropriate
- Alternative textbook format, i.e., available computer software, enlarged print, digital textbooks
- Walk-in peer tutoring, led by students who are recommended by department faculty. A peer-based Writing Lab is supervised by the English department.
- Utilization of the Lindamood-Bell ® approach to learning
(this program is fee-based).
- The Mentor Advantage Program, transition or persistence phase, available as requested
(this program is fee-based)
- Customized professional Tutoring, through the Mentor Advantage Program, hours available as requested (this program is fee-based)