Institutional accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC)assures students and parents that Wesleyan meets the regional agency’s standards for the quality of its educational activities, through standards established for institutions of higher learning in 19 states.
After an extensive self-study process, West Virginia Wesleyan hosted its comprehensive visit for accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission in November, 2015. Wesleyan has been granted continued accreditation (HLC Action Letter - Standard Pathway Year 4 [PDF - 1MB]), meeting the five criteria required for national accreditation. HLC’s full report can be found at: Final Report (PDF - 900KB).
The visiting accreditation team of representatives from peer institutions commended Wesleyan for:
- The development and implementation of program review;
- A successful initiative for assessing the General Education Program;
- The rich variety of co-curricular programs;
- Recognizing the importance of diversity both in its mission statement and in its implementation;
- An engaged, conscientious, accessible, and supportive Bd. of Trustees;
- Supporting faculty in their professional development as teachers; and
- Strong leadership.
HLC will visit West Virginia Wesleyan’s campus for its next reaffirmation of accreditation in 2019-2020.