The Wesleyan Service Scholars (WSS) program is designed for Wesleyan students who are passionate about leadership and service. Students serve approximately five to six hours per week in a non-profit or civic organization in the community or through an on-campus volunteer commitment (approved by a Center for Community Engagement & Leadership Development [CCE] staff person) to receive an annual and renewable scholarship.
Wesleyan Service Scholars Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will explain the components of The Student Leadership Challenge and demonstrate application in their site placement.
- Students will articulate their knowledge of community needs and social issues gained through their participation in the program.
- Students will demonstrate responsibility by submitting validated time records of service on a regular basis.
- Students will interact responsibly and professionally with a diverse population of community members in a wide variety of settings.
Wesleyan Service Scholars receive...
- A $2000 annual, renewable scholarship ($1000 per semester; $8000 over four years)
- Tangible leadership and service experiences for internship interviews and post-graduation professional opportunities
- Opportunities to learn about the local community
- Knowledge of current social issues
Wesleyan Service Scholars are expected to...
- Complete community service and attend required meetings each semester, totaling 75 hours each semester
- Submit timesheets of their activities electronically every week
- Enroll in a one-credit Community Leadership course in the freshman fall semester
- Attend all-member meetings and check-in meetings as requested by CCE Staff
- Maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Remain in good standing with program requirements
Ask your WVWC Admission Counselor for an application or download it and fill it out here: http://www.wvwc.edu/MCEUploads/PDFs/Admissions/2015-2016%20Wesleyan%20Service%20Scholars%20Application.pdf Applications are due by February 1, 2016. E-mail email@example.com if you have any questions!